HAVE YOU BEEN TOLD TO SIMPLY GO HOME AND LIVE WITH YOUR SYMPTOMS...?
Do you have an 'un-explained' health condition, or a health concern which falls under no specific diagnosable condition? In other words, you may have simply been told to go home and live with your symptoms (perhaps until your condition has progressed sufficiently as to fall under the remit of a medical diagnosis), and this is undoubtably a hard blow for anyone to take. Naturally, we take to the internet and books to try and seek answers to what's going on with us. As a qualified nutritional therapist, this area is what i would really call the 'core' of what we specialise and train in.
I work using Functional Medicine principles. A system founded by Doctors, which underpins Nutritional Therapy. The basis of this system is looking at why you have this symptom, looking to rectify the cause. I look at the different body systems instead of organs, looking at how they are working or not working, and at what could be aggravating, perpetuating or mediating an imbalance. Often, there are unexpected nutritional in-sufficiencies, leading to 'something' (metabolic) being insufficient or there is a build-up. The body's function critically relies on enzymes to create functions, and enzymes very often use vitamins building block. Even incredibly healthy diets can have insufficiencies, sometimes the cause can simply be due to genetic differences, and sometimes due to extra lifestyle demands. Alcohol consumption and stress puts enormous additional demands on our vitamin and mineral stores. In addition, very few of us have daily access to foods that has just been picked from our garden, and nutrients quickly degrade. Taking into account food processing, the nutrient content of our foods can be diminished significantly.
WHAT ARE 'BODY SYSTEMS?
Our body systems which underpin health and function are considered to be: assimilation (breaking down food), absorption (absorbing our nutrients and energy) elimination, biotransformation (detoxification), transport (of wastes/nutrients/oxygen), energy production (producing energy from food), and structure (bones, organ structure, cell structure).
THE 'SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS':
- Gastrointestinal dysfunction
- Inflammation & immune dysregulation - representing as allergies, asthma, auto-immune conditions, inflammatory conditions
- Hormonal imbalance and interplay - adrenal, thyroid and sex hormones in particular
- Insulin, leptin and appetite and energy regulating hormone resistance and sensitivity
- Oxidative stress & mitochondrial function and the effect on ageing, energy, and regulated cell death
- Toxins, toxicity and impaired biotransformation (detoxification) and the systemic effects
- Food sensitivities, allergies & sensitivities